The New York Power Authority is seeking an Internal Audit Manager for full-time work in their White Plains location.
White Plains, NY Internal Audit Manager Job Description
In the role of NYPA Internal Audit Manager, the successful job candidate will:
- Manage high quality, professional day-to-day planning, scheduling, execution, and reporting of internal audit engagements and projects within established timelines and budgets; provide overall guidance and direction of the team in conducting the entire audit engagement lifecycle from planning through reporting.
- Oversee engagement operations and address the occurrence of unanticipated issues, demonstrating flexibility assisting the team in prioritizing and completing tasks and communicating potential conflicts and recommended solutions to the SVP of Internal Audit.
- Be responsible for managing multiple concurrent audit engagements and the overall evaluation of key risks and internal controls, approving audit programs/risk & control metrics, approving benchmarking of financial and operational processes and controls, and communicating opportunities for efficiencies/performance improvements based on leading practice; work with the SVP of Internal Audit to communicate findings/recommendations to senior management and client personnel.
- Oversee annual risk assessment activities, as appropriate, including leading interviews and/or survey processes, approving audit plans and risk assessment templates as well as preliminary audit scope areas; work directly with the SVP of Internal Audit to validate auditable entities and risk factors and to develop the long-range risk assessment and audit plan.
- Support team in audit entrance and exit conferences, as appropriate.
- Manage team in conducting testing procedures including, but not limited to, detailed tests of controls including sampling/confidence levels, analytical procedures, Computer Assisted Auditing Techniques (CAATs), and other audit procedures to address risks identified and to test internal controls; responsible for directing work conducted by audit engagement teams.
- Be responsible for guiding and reviewing high quality deliverables created by audit engagement teams using appropriate business and technical language, reviewing audit work performed and results by reviewing work papers and validating audit issues clearly articulate issue/root cause, risk/exposure, and recommendations for improvement; responsible for directing work conducted by audit engagement teams.
- Oversee and review the drafting of internal audit reports and other audit deliverables, directing the work conducted by audit engagement teams.
- Be responsible for approving documentation of processes and sub-processes in the form of walkthroughs (in a format that allows them to be re-performed), narratives, and flow charts for audit areas in scope as prepared by audit engagement teams.
- Manage team in conducting interactions with clients to validate the information/communication flow from the client to the audit team is efficient and effective; collaborate directly with clients and discuss client concerns through building solid relationships; and work with client in an organized and knowledgeable manner/actively oversee client discussions and meetings.
- Guide and direct the organization and maintenance of client documentation in a manner consistent with safekeeping practices.
- Use available technical resources and tools to research and expand one's sphere of knowledge to enhance audit value; remain up-to-date on industry trends and NYPA-related strategic intent while sharing the knowledge amongst the team where applicable; be a knowledge champion providing insights to audit engagement teams.
- Direct and guide “integrated” Internal Control Audits as necessary including evaluating IT general controls with the assistance of IT Audit team members, as appropriate.
- Manage overall team development activities; provide constructive on-the-job feedback/coaching to team members; manage multiple concurrent audit engagement teams, creating a positive working environment through building of solid relationships with team members; monitor workloads of all team members and adjust/redistribute assignments accordingly to promote work/life quality, taking into account team members 'capabilities and needs and the meeting of client expectations; encourage team dialogue; provide candid, meaningful feedback in a timely manner; and keep the SVP of Internal Audit informed of progress and developmental issues.
- Oversee a team of 1-3 auditors, senior auditors, and/or supervisory senior auditors as direct reports responsible for managing their performance and development opportunities; guide colleagues in a matrix environment on audits responsible for their day-to-day activities and reviewing their work.
- Manage team in developing complex data analysis routines and visualize the results of analytics, interpret the results of data analytics and train team members in data analysis techniques and tools.
- Approve work papers of completed projects to ensure adequate documentation has been gathered to evidence completion of the audit, and as an adequate basis for reporting results of the audit to management; guide staff to remediate any and all issues noted.
- Support the SVP of Internal Audit with the following: the Vice President in:
- Coordination of plans with independent auditors, if applicable
- Recruiting efforts
- Staff performance evaluations
- Communication of plans with members of management
- Enforcing compliance with administrative practices, such as reports of weekly planning objectives and time reports
- Guide the SVP of Internal Audit in developing the technical skills and audit capabilities of the staff through informal on-the-job training techniques and through formalized instruction in topical areas during periodic staff meetings.
- Keep current as to developments related to matters of interest to the department, such as pronouncements by the FASB, IIA, FERC and others; keep abreast of evolving audit techniques and practices and share information with the team as appropriate and coach staff on information obtained.
- Assist the SVP of Internal Audit in contributing to the strength of the internal audit profession through attendance and participation in meetings with key stakeholders.
- Drive and contribute to non-audit specific strategies and initiatives for the department.
White Plains, NY Internal Audit Manager Job Required Skills
The level of job complexity for this job position is advanced. The successful internal audit manager job candidate must have excellent managerial and administrative skills to handle multiple complex audits being carried out simultaneously. In addition, the manager will have:
- Ability to demonstrate integrity, values, principles and work ethic.
- Expert knowledge of relevant auditing concepts and techniques and thoroughly familiar with COSO, GAAP, GAGAS, FERC, FASB and IIA standards.
- Knowledge of typical Internal Audit functions and operations.
- Thorough understanding of the electric utility industry including familiarity with current trends in marketing, rate setting and generation, transmission and distribution.
- Ability to manage teams in the identification and articulation of key risks and controls in a process and sub process and to devise and execute audit steps for a variety of audits.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, execute and supervise a variety of complex audits conducted simultaneously; ability to supervise various levels of auditors, and develop their skills and provide leadership.
- Deep knowledge and application of audit concepts and techniques.
- Expert written and oral communication skills; requires critical thinking and analytical ability in accumulating and interpreting large amounts of data and information to identify audit issues and develop practical cost effective solutions.
- Excellent leadership to inspire and motivate others to perform well; ability to provide continuous performance feedback and encourage growth and development of staff required.
- Ability to provide creative input that will drive greater efficiency and value to the audit process; participate in the development of new internal audit processes and ongoing process improvements.
- Capability to manage multiple senior auditors and auditors on audit engagements; ability to develop auditors and seniors and maintain their motivation while ensuring quality of work; ensure that team resources understand assignments, priorities and expectations and are held accountable for success.
- Professional attitude and work ethic and ability to interface effectively with peers and clients.
- Excellent understanding of sampling strategies and confidence levels and use of data analytics.
- Ability to manage third party vendors.
- Deep skills in execution of project management techniques and engagement closure.
- Strong/excellent negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects/resources simultaneously.
- High standard of ethics and professionalism.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge and experience with auditing tools such Microsoft Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Visio.
White Plains, NY Internal Audit Manager Job Required Experience
The successful job candidate has:
- Bachelor degree in MIS, Accounting, Finance, Business, or equivalent discipline.
- Minimum nine years diversified audit/financial experience with solid record of increasing responsibility, preferable from a combination of Big 4 and major organization/company audit experience or minimum of 15 years’ experience auditing in an audit/firm and or/organization/company.
- Minimum of 8 years supervisory experience.
- A CPA, CIA or CISA required, MBA highly desirable, CISA or CFE professional designation a plus.
Send your resume and cover letter to NYPAIntAudMgr@onlinedirectsourcing.com.
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.